Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chirp Chirp

You know the "chirp" I'm talking about. The one your smoke detector makes when the batteries are low. We had some serious chirping last night. I got home last night about 10 pm and immediately heard the chirping when I walked in the door. I asked Sean if he knew which one it was and he thought for sure it was the one in our family room.

Now, do you think we had a single 9-volt battery in the house? Of course not. So we thought it would be a good idea to just take out the battery and deal with it in the morning (not smart, we know...).

We quickly realized that it was not the family room smoke detector, but the one in Reagan's room. Niiiiice. We took out the battery in Reagan's room, (she was awake by now), hoping this would allow her to return to her peaceful slumber and the dumb (yet lifesaving) thing kept chirping! Stink. And.... as if the detectors are now banding together against us, they are ALL chirping. Maybe they're supposed to do this, I don't know. Nonetheless, we now need a handful of batteries. Now one of us has to go the store and buy 9-volt batteries. Being the one still dressed, I hopped in the car and went to the nearest store.... it closed at 10:00. Stink, again. So I went to the next store and found quite possibly the most expensive battery collection possible. Or maybe it just seemed expensive because it was late and I was a tad annoyed.

$30 later, I returned home with 2 packages of 9 volt batteries, a package of AAA batteries (for my new book light!) and a package of pop tarts (hey, they were in the checkout line and I was really hungry.... poor choice, I know, but come on.)

We replaced every.single.battery.in.every.single.smoke.detector and finally went to sleep. No chirping!

For the record, we also believe that smoke detectors are set to only chirp at night. Because at night, you are guaranteed to change the batteries. I would love to meet the person who can sleep through the constant chirp...chirp....chirp....chirp....chirp.....

7 comments:

The Keevy Family said...

You are not alone...Ours ALWAYS go off at night as well! :(

Organized Chaos said...

Meet my husband!

Our carbon monoxide detector started chirping last week...he slept through it the entire night. And slept through me elbowing him to wake up and fix it!

WEEE said...

Been there been annoyed by them as well. Only ours went off full force last year all because of a stupid little spider that tripped the light sensor. Nothing like waking up at 3 in the morning to full on alarm sounds!

Jeremy and Laura Lebow said...

That's awesome! We actually had a problem with our smoke detectors last night, too . . . they were going off for about 5 min when my sister was cooking on the stove and we opened EVERY window and couldn't get them to stop. I had to go outside with Clara because they were so loud! Hopefully she's not deaf now. :)

Brianne said...

they're also known to go off (not just chirp!) when your husband is at an early morning meeting. that noise is sure a surprise to a sleeping 2-year-old! that was our experience last week anyway.

Anonymous said...

At least it didn't happen at 3am with the smoke detector that is up on the highest ceiling possible in your home.. and you didn't have to wake up Sean so he could go to the garage and get the ladder. That happened to us and we almost didn't get the battery out. Greg had to stand on his tippy toes and swat at the thing for the battery to come out. Amazinly, Sophia slept through the whole thing. We still haven't replaced that battery. Bad, I know!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

It always seems to happen at our house whenever Adam is gone! I had to have my neighbor come over to help because I couldn't get the battery out. So annoying!