Monday, November 13, 2006

Is it possible?

I'm wondering if it is possible for a cat and a kid to be best friends.
I have to say that we, quite possibly, have the coolest cat in the whole world.

Meet Smooches.



I know, it's a crazy name, but it fits him perfectly. I found Smooches outside of my office building in Spokane in 2001... this tiny little white kitten with one blue eye and one brown eye. I picked him up, he immediately nuzzled his nose into my neck and started to purr, and then I immediately called Sean (who said he would never have a cat) and said (like a 3 year old) "Can we keep him, pllleeaasseee?"
He's the most disobedient cat, but he loves our kids more than we thought possible. Reagan calls him "Mooches"-- all she has to do is make the kissing sound and he comes running. He has never gotten mad and swatted, hissed or nipped at the kids-- which is especially important with Ian's grip and ability to roll and reach anything near him. If Ian is playing on the floor, he is right there-- probably next to his head either sniffing him or rubbing his nose on his head. If Reagan is sitting (that doesn't happen too often), he will attempt to sit on her lap and snuggle with her. I caught this moment today-- how cute is that?


So I ask again... is it possible for a cat and a kid to be best friends?
At this point, I think so.

No comments: