Friday, March 09, 2007

Hmmm....

I was helping Reagan get dressed this morning and I said... " Here you go, let's wear this turtleneck today! It's cute!" Reagan takes the shirt (which has little flowers on it) and says... "Mom, my shirt doesn't have turtles on it!". She has a very valid point. This led me to ponder why on earth a turtleneck is called a turtleneck. As far as I know, turtles don't have anything around their necks, right?
I've been online looking for why this type of shirt is called a turtleneck and I can't find anything. I've found the history of the turtleneck, but that didn't help a bit. We want to know WHY!

So... if you know why a turtleneck is called a turtleneck, please help us! This mom and her almost 3 year old really, really want to know!

(Seriously... I can't believe I'm spending time on this... my little girl really makes me think!)

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

I always thought it was because of the way you have to pull the shirt over your head and poke your head through...like a turtle popping their head out of their shell.

I can live peacefully with that answer!