Thursday, August 02, 2007

A day at the park...

My sis and I decided to take the kids to a fun park today-- they fill up a great wading pool at 11:30 and the kids can kick around in it and soak up some incredible Northwest sunshine (it's in the 80's today!). We were extra blessed today when we realized there were some fun activities going on.



There were a group of kids from an Awana camp in the park. They were singing songs, doing puppet shows, painting faces and making animal balloons. It was great! The kids ranged in age from early teens to 16-17 (maybe). Here is the best part.... these kids had amazing ways to intertwine the Gospel into every single thing they did with the kids. It was spectacular to watch. When Reagan and Asher were getting their faces painted, the kids painting told them about Christ. Amazing.


Then, as we were getting ready to leave, 3 young boys approached Reagan and Asher and asked if they wanted a bracelet. On the bracelet were colored beads, each representing a point in the Gospel. (I'm sure you've seen a bracelet like this before) The boys were so humble and genuinely cared about our kids. They took their time and told Reagan and Asher what each color on the bracelet meant... in terms they could understand. I cannot begin to tell you what it felt like to see someone sharing Christ with my child.




In a world where selfishness seems to reign, this was the most refreshing thing to witness. These kids, who are at such a critical age (teenagers), put aside all of their pride and desires to be "cool" and oozed the love of Christ.

7 comments:

Keven & Alicia said...

it was pretty cool! I kept thinking that I hope to see my kids doing that one day...

adriene said...

Wow! That is awesome. I got a little choked up thinking about how wonderful it would be to see someone braking down the Gospel for Leandra.

Amy... said...

That is so neat! When I was young, I remember teenagers were the biggest influence on me as far as the gospel was concerned. So cool!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that!!! I hope to get Kailey involved in AWANA. I loved it as a kid.
Wendi

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh awesome is that?! Seriously! I pray that those teenagers will be my own children someday...

Chelle said...

That is awesome! Now why aren't stories like that on the news?!?!

The Keevy Family said...

We found your website from the Chun's. Good to see your family, looks like you are doing well! Come and visit us at Keevyfamily.com